Dear Parents and Carers
Following last week’s Government announcement that schools will remain open, I am putting in place a number of precautionary measures to keep all in the school community as well as possible. We also have contingency plans for whole or partial school closure, which we will implement if necessary.
Please continue to ask your child to follow the guidance regarding hand washing. I am monitoring the attendance of students and staff on a daily basis and am pleased to inform you that absence levels have remained low and the school remains fully open. I am also conscious that a number of you will be making individual choices about whether to send your child to school and this may be based on whether there are any vulnerable individuals within your household.
The Department for Education and Public Health England have issued updated guidance for education settings on COVID-19. This guidance will assist staff in addressing COVID-19 in educational settings. This includes childcare, schools, further and higher educational institutions. What you need to know:
- staff, young people and children should stay at home if they are unwell with a new, continuous cough or a high temperature to avoid spreading infection to others. Otherwise they should attend education or work as normal
- if staff, young people or children become unwell on site with a new, continuous cough or a high temperature they should be sent home
- clean and disinfect regularly touched objects and surfaces more often than usual using your standard cleaning products
- supervise young children to ensure they wash their hands for 20 seconds more often than usual with soap and water or hand sanitiser and catch coughs and sneezes in tissues
Please can we ask that when you are reporting an absence that you indicate clearly if it’s a coronavirus related absence or that you are self isolating. To report an absence either phone and leave a message on the absence or email email@example.com.
The following precautionary measures have been put into place with effect from today;
- All assemblies are cancelled
- I am advising staff and students NOT to participate in extra-curricular events, for example music concerts, where infection can be easily transmitted.
- The Jazz Café evenings on 26 & 27th March and the GCSE Drama Performance evening on the 1st April have been postponed until the summer term. The Sports Award Evening on 2nd April 2020 has also been postponed.
- To minimise transmission risks in the changing rooms, students may wear PE kit all day when they have core PE;
- Trips, residential visits and work experience: the Department for Education is NOT currently advising against domestic school trips. We are monitoring the situation and will update you as we receive information;
- Foreign trips – the Government has said that school parties will not be allowed to travel abroad. We have no indication as to how long this embargo will be in place but at the very least, it will affect the Iceland trip at Easter We will give you further information as and when we receive it;
To support your child learning from home we are encouraging all parents to sign up to our Parent Portal. here you will find a record of home learning tasks and additional resources to support your child. To sign up please check your email (and spam folder) as invitations have already been sent. If you cannot locate the invitation please email firstname.lastname@example.org for your log in details.
There will be daily updates on the website and through email communication even if it is just to indicate that the situation remains unchanged. Teachers have already prepared work for pupils in the event of any closure. This will be on the google classroom for each class. We will also have a page on our website providing links to useful educational sites as well as further updates should we have to close. Should anyone have any concerns about being unable to access educational information electronically for their child, please do not hesitate to contact the school via your child’s tutor.
Below are some links to useful information and guidance:
Social Distancing for Vulnerable People: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for- vulnerable-people
Guidance for households with suspected CV: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance
Mr McKavanagh Headteacher